Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pondering Violence

I've just started reading Philip Zimbardo's The Lucifer Effect and it asks us not only to take a view of "evil" acts as being based on disposition but also situational and systemic factors. It argues about how environmental factors can influence behavior, based on his research such as the infamous Stanford Prison Experiment.

I got to thinking about myself and how I enjoy violence, or at least watching violence. I'm a huge action movie fan. And it got me to thinking about how much of a kick I get out of watching jack Bauer torture terrorists to get the necessary information from them. I even partook in that torture, kind of, when I played through the 24 game. The violence of games is admittedly excessive and again that prompts the question of how I can enjoy such things. Not only enjoy but actively seek such opportunities.

There are lots of questions that are prompted by our searching of these things. For example I would like to believe that I am a peace loving person, but I know, and sadly I do advocate sometimes, that violence is the best form of conflict resolution in certain situations. What does this say about us? Zimbardo says it's not the moral choices you make in situations you are comfortable with, but situations that are alien or that put unusual strains on us on which we are unsure of how to act that makes openings for "evil" behavior. But at the same time it allows us the opportunity of rising to the level of the heroic.

No comments: