Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Dark Knight

I spend a lot of time in movie theaters, and kind of working on film and having been writing reviews for a while now, I've found different ways to watch films. Sometimes I come into them expecting moving narrative, sweeping emotional journeys, quiet family dramas, and sometimes just plain visual virtuosity. And then there are times when I just want some easy dumb fun, like say Harold and Kumar or the Apatow-backed flicks like Knocked Up or Superbad.

I have talked with some friends, though, that I thoroughly enjoy films that allow me to experience the magic of filmmaking. Granted there are times when we expect total realism, or when we just cannot accept the way that films create or operate within the bounds of their film worlds. But I feel that the great films of my youth, the movies that made me love movies, were those that were able to convey in me a sense of magic, a kind of feeling that movies and only movies can create.

If I were to be asked for a concrete example I would refer to the first few minutes of Raiders of the Lost Ark as a clear powerful example of movie-making magic. The rest of the film is likewise as magical.

I am waxing poetic about movie magic because of The Dark Knight, which I watched last night in IMAX. From the opening scenes, on through to the last sequence, one gets a sense of magic, and of the power of film to tell stories, to excite, to make us feel alive.

The visuals were amazing with the stunts and action sequences taking on a visceral quality that makes one scream out. At certain points in the film I wanted to stand up and start screaming, "That was fucking awesome!" Indeed that is the sentiment I felt when I walked out of the sensory-overload-inducing IMAX experience. I have no doubts that even in the usual theater this film will throw people out of their seats.

It's a rare thing to be overwhelmed with movie-magic, despite the saturation of the market. Dark Knight overwhelms on all levels, creating a piece of depth, beauty, and power. It's smart, it's challenging, but it's also great fun.

2 comments:

NYEL said...

carl, the dark knight! shet. i feel reallyreallyreally bad about having to miss ir. *weep* coming home briefly in september! here's to hoping the local theaters/imax will still have it.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to see it this weekend! Sir, search for the Dark Knight movie posters. I'm sure you've seen most but check them all out. For each poster, there are two versions - a cool, formal one and the second is the exact same shot as the other, but all vandalized by the Joker. Really really awesome. I was sold just by the posters! Haha. :)