Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Merchant without goods

This blog has pretty much gone into a coma last few months. Too many things have happened, and sadly, my writing is the first thing to suffer.

Though writing is so important to me, it's the first thing that gets cut once turmoil sets in. well, even the sniffles get me off the track. So much seems to have to go right for me to get into the flow of writing, but the simplest thing, like the darn sniffles that have bothered me the holidays and the teary eye that's back at the worst time.

Updates, things new:

Books, yeah!

Well, I've found myself in a couple of books, both edited by Vince Groyon. Short Stories for Harried Readers is already available in national. It's a collection of stories supposedly under 500 words. I went over the word count, but still made the list. According to Adam David, it's a pretty good collection, entertaining at least.

The other book's A Different Voice, it's the anthology released by Philippine PEN by young writers born after 1962. Fine, fine, that's not really young if you're born after 1962, but in general the collection is made up of young and up and coming writers.

I'm supposedly coming out in a couple more books in the coming months. much excitement. plus there's the hope that maybe in the next few years there will be that much fantasized book with my name on the spine.

Music

Chupacabraz is still finishing the album. Don't ask me. It'll be done soon. I hope.

On the upside, Angel Radio will be having weekly gigs at Magnet Katipunan. Rock's asked us to kind of mix Angel Radio with Cha's solo set, so it's going to be some of our stuff together, plus her solo, and hope it sounds alright. I'm pretty sure it will. We'll be playing bonifacio high street twice in january supposedly. see how these things pan out. it's not only that it's fun to be in a band with my girlfriend and a close friend who i connect with very well on a musical level, but the music that we're playing is stuff that no other band would try. I love the range of things that we play. How many people have you heard cover Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" for their acoustic night gigs? Or Bruce Springsteen? "Feel Flows?" "Nightswimming?" "Shooting Star?" These songs, these are songs that I love, and I love performing them. I suppose that's the exciting thing, finally getting to play these songs that I've always appreciated and wanted to play. And even though we're working the kinks out, man rolling out those fast parts in "Thunder Road" and trying to emulate the boss's emotional intensity is definitely a high point for me when we perform.




Listening is a different thing. I've picked up the essential bob dylan. And in the packet of Springsteen books that Cha gave me for Christmas, she included a copy of the essential springsteen, which we'd been scouring the city for months looking for. and my cousin sent me a copy of born to run. which, now that i own it, i can officially say is my favorite album of all time. it's just an amazing piece of work, a tremendous vision. It's all the things that have been written about it, truly a grand rock and roll opus. Any LEAP students who stumble across this, expect that this will be part of our study in the coming quarter.

I think that the depth and perception with which both dylan and springsteen tell their stories comes from their being attuned to the worlds that they inhabit, to the things around them. There's something in their songwriting, which in essence is also powerful storytelling, that we find missing in most contemporary music. It's no wonder that Dylan's Modern Times in 2006 and Springsteen's Magic in 2007 were strong contenders for album of the year. Think, these guys who could probably qualify for social security benefits in a few years (if they don't yet)are still making powerful statements with rock music. Rock is about rebellion and youth, yes, but in your old age, what should you make of it? Does it become the stuff that our parents listen to on a Sunday morning, or does it still find a way to be relevant, to make commentaries about the world in which it inhabits? Obviously I am not of the emo mind which finds its artists content with pushing forty and still whining about the prom.

I'm looking to pick up the album by MIA, which though it tops the Rolling Stone list for album of the year, can't be found on the shelves of the local stores. And friend and rapper Tukoy will be hooking me up with albums from rap group Blue Scholars, which I'm looking forward to.

Also, if anybody's downloaded and cobbled together soundtracks for Guitar Hero 2 and 3, please hook me up. After a party at Ed's, Cha has gone made for the games and the music.

Movies

My film viewing goes on. The MMFF thus far has been dismal. Saw Bahay Kubo: Terrible. Sakal, Sakali, Saklolo: Tolerable. Resiklo: had its moments, though most of the time my friends and I were laughing and we weren't supposed to be. has all the things that make filipino movies bad, but has some scenes worth watching.

I've noticed that the MTRCB writes reviews and gauges their ratings on the moral value of a film. Imagine though, the managed to find some redeeming moral value in Death Proof. I loved Death Proof, but who goes into that expecting redeeming moral value? In any case, these ratings actually serve as endorsements of film's moral content. I mean, where did you see a ratings and censorship board say of a film, "Nice movie?" Isn't that overstepping their bounds, which are to rate and censor, not to judge for moral content? or does that spill over? I'm not sure, the case could be argued, but i'd be happier if the MTRCB quit writing reviews of these films based on moral content.

I'm working on a few film projects at the moment, exciting and tough stuff. can't get into it here though.

and well, all these movies have been waiting to be seen on my shelf. Once upon a time in the west has been eyeing me doggedly. darn holidays, when will the schedule let up? will it be when i finally join the unemployment line?

Games

New Year's Resolution: Play more games!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.